Making the decision to enter drug rehab in Kansas City is going to be a massive decision. Many people are going to be a little bit fearful about changing up their life so much. After all, if you have relied on drugs for so long, it can be quite a challenge to kiss them goodbye. Thankfully, you have people to help you out, and those people are in drug rehabilitation centers.
What Happens During Drug Rehab?
There are two main stages to substance abuse treatment. The first stage is a process known as detoxification.
During detoxification, you will be eradicating drugs from your body. Most drugs, even after your last ‘hit’ will remain in your body for days, sometimes even weeks at a time. How long the detoxification process lasts will be dependent on the severity of your symptoms. It will also be dependent on how addicted to the drug you are.
During detoxification, you will go through all manner of different withdrawal symptoms. Once again, these symptoms will be highly dependent on the drugs that you are addicted to. It is important that you are under the watchful eye of a team of professionals during detoxification. They will be able to help you to manage your symptoms. Without a team in place, you will end up turning to drugs.
Addiction Pain Management
In addition to providing you with emotional support, the team that helps with dealing with the detoxification process will be able to prescribe you with medication that you can utilize for overcoming the drug addiction. For example; if you are dealing with pain, they may be able to prescribe you with pain medication that you can use. This will help to alleviate the symptoms somewhat and ensure that you do your best to stay away from relapsing. In the case of certain drugs, they may provide you with various options that you can use to make the whole process a bit easier. For example; it is going to be very difficult to quit opiates such as Heroin ‘cold turkey’. So, instead, the center will be able to provide you with drugs such as methadone which will, very slowly, allow you to work your way off the addictive drug. This will be given out on a case by case basis. After all, the rehabilitation center wants to know that you are safe while taking the medication.
Other Addiction Treatment Methods
The real work in treating your situation begins once you have gone through the detoxification process. The actual techniques used next will be dependent on the institution that you are working with. For the most part, however, they will boil down to the following:
- You will be taught techniques that you can use to avoid drugs in the future. After all, you are going to need to enter the real world eventually. You want to know that you are going to be able to avoid drugs. If you can’t do that, then you will never be able to fight your drug addiction. While there are several different processes that may be used here, the most common is known as ‘cognitive behavioral therapy’. This is where the rehabilitation center will help you to shape your behavior. It is a very complicated process, but it is very effective.
- At the same time, the therapist will try to get to any underlying issues which relate to your drug addiction. Most people do not turn to drugs on a whim. They will use it as a coping technique. For example, they may be suffering from depression or a similar mental health condition. The doctor will then work with you to tackle these problems head-on. It is not going to help completely eliminate your drug addiction, but it is certainly going to help.
Most drug addiction care will be provided at inpatient rehab in Kansas City, MO. This is where you will be attending a residential clinic and staying there on a residential basis. Most clinics will not let you leave until they can be certain that you have completely overcome your addiction. Of course, you are free to leave when you want, it is not a prison, but the institution will actively discourage it as they want to make sure that you are fully cured of your symptoms.
There are several benefits to inpatient care in Missouri:
- You will have access to 24/7 care. This is important, particularly when you are going through the detoxification process. When you have access to 24/7 care, the doctors and nurses will be able to answer any questions that you may have about your situation. They will also be able to provide you with the support that you need to make everything a touch easier to deal with.
- The care tends to be ‘better’ as the doctors and nurses will get to know you on an individual level. While there will be some group work in therapy, a lot of the treatment will be carried out an individualized basis. This means that the treatment will be tailored to you. The success rates tend to be a bit higher when this happens.
- You will be completely taken away from situations where you may have access to drugs. Again, this is going to make the process a lot easier for you.
Of course, there are a few downsides. Perhaps the biggest one is that you are going to be heading to rehab on a residential basis, often months at a time. This can be costly, not just in terms of your finance, but there are many jobs which may not support you doing this.
If you are unable to afford attending inpatient care, then you may want to consider going down the outpatient route. When you do this, you will be attending a few sessions over the course of many months. It is a great method if your addiction is not the most severe and you do not need almost constant care. However, the biggest downside is that there is no real commitment for you. Sure, you have said that you are going to attend treatment, but nothing is going to be forcing you to actually attend those treatment sessions. As a result, there is no guarantee that you are going to end up turning up to it! This is not good.
You should only opt for outpatient care as a last resort. If you can, always go for inpatient care. The higher success rates means that you will be treated quicker!
The work is not going to be complete the second you walk outside of that treatment center. Dealing with drug addiction is going to be a lifelong battle. While you are in drug rehabilitation, you will have been provided with plenty of advice on how you can avoid drugs in the future. It’s now up to you to put those techniques into practice in the ‘real world’. When you first leave drug rehab, things are going to be hard. You will be almost constantly tempted. However, as time goes on, things get easier. You will find it easier to tackle your drug addiction. You will never be fully cured, but there will be a point where you are not even bothered about the drug addiction now. It won’t be at the forefront of your mind. This will make life that much easier to live for you.
You are not going to be left in the lurch once you leave the rehabilitation center. Any location worth their salt will have a relapse program in place that you will be able to attend if you ever get the urge to take drugs again. The center will also run regular checkups to check on how much progress you are making in your fight against drug addiction. It is important that you attend these checkups as you will be able to receive further advice along the way. All in all, this is going to result in you finding it far easier to deal with your drug addiction.
Drug Rehab is a Tough Journey, But it Doesn’t Worth More Than Your Life
We want to round off by saying that it is not going to be easy overcoming a drug addiction. Many people will try and fail. Sadly, that is how it is. A lot of overcoming drug addiction will be about willpower. Since you are reading this page, it indicates that you have a desire to give up drugs. Many people see this as the first part of the battle and, in our eyes, it is one of the most important parts of the battle. This means that you have demonstrated that you have what it takes to eradicate drugs from your life. So, act.
If you are addicted to drugs, or perhaps know somebody who is addicted to drugs, then get in touch with a drug rehab in Kansas City today. Start the process of helping them to overcome their addiction as soon as possible.